Tuesday, November 13, 2007

On the Road to Barbie-ville

Yikes. Been too long, sorry about that, folks. I know you've been sitting in front of your computers for weeks now just waiting for a new update from me... ha.

It's been a while, so this post will entail far more medical updates than you're used to. Count that as a disclaimer, so if you really don't want to know (read: if you're a boy I work with and the info will freak you out), my best advice is for you to skim.

OK, so deal is tomorrow I have my three-month check (for those of you not paying attention, this time on the rotation is the chest x-ray, slightly less scary than the CT which I'll have in... anyone, anyone? Yeah, that would be February.). That's in the morning, labs, x-ray, visit with my kind doctor who I sincerely hope begins to tire of the sight of me since nothing on my chart will change except the date. Here's hoping, and praying...

Tomorrow afternoon (assuming the morning is fine) is when the real fun begins. I'm finally going to be rid of this lovely expander and dent in my chest. Yeah, if you didn't notice the dent, well, good, you shouldn't have been looking, but trust me, it's there. Just look in my best friend's wedding pictures. Sigh. Anyway, they're taking out this softball and replacing it with my (dare I say it?) permanent implant. Yes, boys and girls, tomorrow, at approximately 3:30 pm, I will become a resident of Silicone Valley. And the dent (which is the outside version of stitches used to hold my expander down since Mayo messed up and chose to give me the appearance of a breast on my shoulder, not such a good look, really) will be gone. Phew.

After this surgery, which could actually be the last time I have to go under, I only have two more "procedures"... one will be an outpatient jobby to reconstruct the nipple. That's followed by an in-office tattoo job that I'm told will only take 20 minutes or so. I'm not sure how long I have to wait before those two procedures... at least three months, I'm thinking. You know, those same three months that I'll be in sports bra purgatory. Never thought I'd long for an underwire...

So, thanks for the continued good thoughts and good wishes (and for the crowd of coworkers that either wished me well at school today or called me tonight). I'm less nervous than normal, but that of course only causes me to be more nervous... darn vicious circle...

Carpe diem.
Trela

No comments: