Wednesday, November 14, 2012

5 Years Later


January, 2008
Today I had the appointment my "local" oncologist decided to call my 5 year visit.  Though officially the last bit of c-wicked wasn't removed until January of 2008, since I don't go back until late spring, today's meeting was close enough for both of us.

He's relaxed my schedule a bit -- no MRI this time (though I swear I could hear the banging as I did other tests in radiology), just a traditional mammogram and chest CT.  I think they over-medicated me on my steroids for the ct (I had a tiny reaction in my very first CT so they're super cautious), but that was the biggest issue for the day, and it simply resulted in my napping all afternoon to ease the jitters other than cleaning the desperately-needing-it kitchen.  Ah well, that's what children are for... :)

Despite hitting five years and dreaming of a day in which I'm not the most famous patient at my onc's office (perhaps an exaggeration, but literally, 3/4ths of the staff I interact with know who I am and hug me on sight, so I'm taking star-status and running with it), I'm not really released out of his care.  I'll continue visits twice a year, perhaps for eternity.  We're going to back off of the MRI for upcoming future, and substitute a chest x-ray.  On the other side of the calendar, I'll continue to have chest CTs for a while.  Ah, the life of a celebrity... at least all of this takes place slightly more local than Mayo - a forty minute drive isn't nearly as bad as the two hour trip (though not having the infamous Mayo Itinerary to navigate with gave me pause today... never thought I'd miss that bloody thing).  Regardless, until May, I'm totally free of it.  

November, 2012
------------------

Most of you know how important the LiveSTRONG message has always been to me, especially so in the last 6+ years since I was more personally affected.  Though I'm seriously disappointed in the choices Lance Armstrong has made in his professional life, the efforts he has put into the foundation he formally led remain at the forefront for myself and millions of other cancer patients and survivors.  6 and a half years ago, I thought my days were far more numbered than I had ever imagined, but the materials from LiveSTRONG convinced me that I was the navigator here.  Maybe the ocean would be rough, and over that I would have little control, but I was the one steering the ship.  Every time I saw -- and continue to see -- those little yellow bracelets, I felt my support system coming alive around me.  LiveSTRONG is bigger than Lance.  But it is because of him that it exists, and for that I will be forever in his debt.  Trash his cycling reputation all you like -- check that, he did a reasonably good job of that himself -- but I believe when he has to stand in front of the pearly gates he should be judged not for the yellow jersey he wore, but for the yellow bracelet he stood behind.  

And that, my friends, is about as political as I get.  

Have the loveliest of Thanksgivings next week.  I'm so very thankful for all of you.

Carpe diem.  -- Trela


No comments: