Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Radiation Vacation

All set at the Hope Lodge in Rochester (where you can send me mail if you'd like -- 411 2nd Street NW Rochester, MN 55901). The place is HUGE and super friendly. They force the "community" a bit, potlucks every Tuesday, and no cable in the bedrooms to force you out into the lounges, of which there are many! There's a library, computer room, exercise room, pool table, and more! I think I'll be cool there for a while!

My two radiation treatments so far have gone fine. In fact, I didn't even realize they'd radiated the first time because they told me they'd be doing x-rays. I waited for the three of those, and then when they held out my gown I was momentarily confused. Apparently they did the "zapping" in between x-rays. I have to wear a piece of plastic-y stuff on my chest during the radiation -- it feels a little like a sticky gel insole for your shoes, and that's been the staff's biggest frustration. Today they literally taped it down around me on the table so there wasn't as much air in between it and the skin. It's target is to focus the beams more on the skin, which my doctor today reminded me would probably be the worst part of the experience. She doesn't expect the tiredness to really hit me until my 3rd week, so that's a good thing.

I've spent the day checking into Hope Lodge, having lunch with Dad (who leaves tomorrow), grocery shopping (I get a shelf on the fridge in the Lodge), and organizing the papers I need to grade. Not actually grading them, but I have to start somewhere. Now they're all in neat little piles on the unused twin bed in my room. Maybe tomorrow...

So far so good!
: )
Carpe diem. - Trela

1 comment:

Hope Valerie said...

Hey, no doing homework on your "vacation!" ;)